Saturday, May 1, 2010

You Met My Mama In A Barroom



I watched Paper Moon on my instant Netflix the other day. Just a little back story, I borrowed that dvd back when I still rented movies from an actual video store. Yeah, the one with actual dvd cases on display and actual clerks who might judge you based on your rentals. But then you only had a few days before you needed to return the movie or else get fined. So I didn't get to watch it then. But, I did this time and I loved it.

Tatum O' Neal plays Addie Loggins, the most ornery nine year old to ever exist, with a smoking habit, to boot. Her mother just died and she has no one to care for her save an aunt who lives elsewhere. She doesn't know who her father is either. You'll tell me if I'm starting to sound like the synopsis on a Netflix dvd sleeve, right?

Anyway, my favorite scene is where Ryan O' Neal who plays Moses, a con man, agrees to give Addie a ride to her aunt's place and they stop for a something to eat. And this is when Addie shows Moze that she's not just some helpless, bereft little girl. She demands two hundred dollars which Moses got by using Addie's bereavement as a bargaining tool. And she demands to know if Moses is her father, as they have the same jaw and because he probably met her mother in a barroom.

And then there's that touching moment when Addie goes to the bathroom and looks at a picture of her mother. She looks at herself in the mirror and mimics her pose and puts on some of her old perfume. Tatum O' Neal was amazing.

A round of applause for child actors!

No comments:

Post a Comment