Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Ghosties




I'm currently reading an Ellen Datlow-edited anthology called The Dark. It's a collection of ghost stories. Like I said, they're just stories. No reason to sleep with one eye open. No need to toss the book away from you like it's possessed. And those nighttime sounds are just that, nothing more.

Except, there's one story that really got under my skin. I can't get Mike O' Driscoll's The Silence of the Falling Stars out of my head. It creeps and it's creepy. Come to think of it, he also wrote this piece called 13 O'Clock , with that little boy asking his dad what happens at 13 o'clock. That scared me too.

Speaking of ghost stories. Catholic schools are the worst. Where I went it was all ghost nuns who float, religious statues that move, ectoplasmic students whose low grades drove them to their deaths. Supposedly the school was a hospital during olden times and a lot of patients died. Then it became a very crowded cemetery and finally, a school. Basically it's Cadaver College for Young Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment