Saturday, September 4, 2010

Check it Out Braughhhh

That's what the shirtless dude by Kamaole Beach Park II said. He followed it up with, only $18.95. I don't know what he was selling or renting though. Now, I didn't have my glasses on at that time but I promise you, he looked almost exactly like Chris Cornell. Except, this guy was shorter and I think several of his teeth were missing... Well, maybe he doesn't look like Chris Cornell at all.

CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 08: Chris Cornell of Soundgarden performs onstage and headlines the 2010 Lollapalooza festival in Grant Park on August 8, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Roger Kisby/Getty Images)


Anyway, that was one of my encounters with shirtless men in Maui, Hawaii, where encounters like such are unavoidable. We stayed at Kihei where the beach was just a cross walk away and where people actually flocked to for the sunset.



As a bonus to an already magnificent view, one also got an abundance of sand blown into one's bodily crevices. And wait, there's more... Foodland was close which meant that their delicious poke was never too far. No joke, I am not much of a raw fish fan but that was some amazing poke. I forget the exact variety but it was something like garlic ahi tuna. Their Kim Chee mussels were also very good. And I'll stop there because just typing Kim Chee mussels is making my mouth water.



Can I just say, I was a bit scandalized by the grocery prices. And the coffee prices. $4 for an iced, tall, drip coffee? That's right, drip.

On our second day in Maui, we went to Wailea Beach. That was some swanky area. Speaking of swanky places, I wish I knew where Oprah's Maui house was. I would've totally checked it out. Back to Wailea - big houses, posh mall, tiny public parking for the beach. One of the things I liked about it was that the shore was so wide that getting sand kicked in your face by people walking around just didn't happen. In my Mom's words, as she compared Honolulu's Waikiki to Wailea Beach, you don't have to be near any bitches or jerk bastards and their little devils. JUST KIDDING. I said that. My Mom would never ever.

And the Grand Wailea Resort? It was grand. Sprawling, kind of flashy but with a flashy kind of charm.

The following day, we took the long trip to Lahaina although we decided to keep driving since we saw how rocky the beaches were. We went to Kapalua Beach instead. It was even more intimidating than Wailea. They had gated areas and the Ritz Carlton and lots of super slim and tanned older ladies in micro shorts. It was a challenge looking for shore access and public parking but it was well worth it. The beach was smaller but the snorkeling was fantastic.

Oh, all right, by snorkel I mean awkwardly shove that mouthpiece in my maw and take gasping breaths while getting my hair tangled up with the mask's strap. Let's just say it took me a while to ease into the snorkeling groove and when I did, then yes, it was fantastic.




Next up on our Maui itinerary was the drive to Hana. The day started like a dream. Sunshine. Lovely breakfast. A neatly packed lunch in the backseat and off we went. We stopped by Moana Bakery where we met lovely people who boxed our apple streudel and chocolate croissant. Then we were on the winding road to Hana. We wound and wound in a zigzag pattern. In fact it was so zigzag I now know what Scary Spice means by zigazagAAAAHHH!

The views were breathtaking. The trees were gigantic. I also learned that a loop trail is another term for harder, muddier path. There was an amazing spa-like smell at the arboretum from one of the plants, no doubt. And the black sand beach was a beauty!



But, in the way that travels typically go, a return was required. And my return journey from Hana? Well, let's save it for the next post, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment