Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hana and the End

Yes, I will admit it. I was a dizzy mess on the drive back from Hana. My Dad was driving and even with my stong belief in his skills, my guts had an even stronger belief in its desire to expel its contents. Thankfully, any vomiting was avoided. I just held that position (see picture below) and variations of it throughout the trip.



We had some pizza and soup for dinner and in my condition I was unable to to take a single bite.

Just kidding.

My appetite was intact and my head back to normal so the day ended just as well as it began.

What wasn't normal? My hair. Actually, the whole family's hair. How was I supposed to know that in our collective effort to save on checked baggage fees that I was the only one with a travel-sized bottle of shampoo in my Zip Lock bag? Surely they were all to blame for us having to use soap in lieu of shampoo!!! You know how when you bake and the recipe calls for egg whites beaten into stiff peaks? Yes? That was the general state of our hair until we got to buy shampoo at the store.

Hair problems aside, Day 5 was a lot of fun with another go at Wailea. The water was quite rough. The paddle boarders were nowhere in sight and even the dude in swim trunks manning the bouncy slide was missing.

40578, MAUI, HAWAII, FRIDAY MAY 14th, 2010. Playboy Playmate, Jenna Bentley, 21, takes a paddleboarding lesson while on vacation in Maui, Hawaii. The 21 year old spent about an hour trying to master the balance but failed on many occasions. Jenna was sporting a brown two piece bikini. Photograph: Will Binns, PacificCoastNews.com


We found a floater labeled, "Linda," close to where we set up our mats and beach towels. My sister saw it as a gift. Look, no one claimed it. It was just sitting there. Don't go giving us evils. Besides, the Sharpie-written, "Linda," was a sign since my Mom's BFF is named Linda. Now, "Linda" the floater's former owner will be happy to know that we put the thing to good use, floating and bouncing with the waves.

The following morning was set for a short swim at Kamaole II again. Then packing, where boxes of Chocolate Macadamias and Hawaiian coffees were distibuted amongst our carry-ons. After lunch, we headed back to the airport.

A few notes on Hawaiian Air. They have some really pleasant flight attendants and even with a Blended Pasta or Bread Sandwich with ham sprinkles meal, I will happily accept any food on a domestic flight, that is still free. Oh and they showed Prince of Persia so that was also a plus.

HOLLYWOOD - MAY 17: Actor Jake Gyllenhaal arrives at the premiere of Walt Disney Pictures' 'Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time' held at Grauman''s Chinese Theatre on May 17, 2010 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)


And as I wrap this post up, I find myself back at my desk, looking out my window where I have an excellent view of Seattle's currently overcast skies. But my spirits are high. Just a glimpse at my already peeling nose and forehead in the mirror, or a glance at my blackened shoulders and I am transported back to my Maui experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment