Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Girl With The Most Cake

I watched VH1's Behind the Music featuring Courtney Love. She is something else. I must admit, I kind of admire her. That woman is made of stern stuff. And even if I'm not really a Hole fan I could listen to Doll Parts and Violet over and over. No, really. He only loves those things because he loves to see them break/ I fake it so real I am beyond fake. Or, when they get what they want, they never want it again/ go on take everything, take everything I want you to. I think that's some great songwriting. Try it. Just those two songs, a few listens each and get a free exercise in swinging between feeling like a steaming pile of shit, to feeling like screaming along with her when she sings, I want to give my violet more violence.

I had no idea Courtney's childhood was a kind of hell - divorced parents, foster homes, juvenile delinquency. And of course everyone knows what came later... stripping at Jumbo's Clown Room. Also, I didn't know she was so tall. They say she's almost 5'11".




I didn't know it then because I was too young to get the references. But when baby doll dresses were everywhere? That was Courtney in the early 90s. She had the red, red lips and kohl-lined eyes, the barrette that dangled from a few strands of her hair, the cute mary janes.

For me, the best parts of the VH1 special were the home video footage of Courtney, Kurt Cobain and Frances Bean when she was a baby. I know it feels kind of intrusive watching those videos but you can tell that Frances Bean was really loved. There's also this bit where Courtney admitted to feeling hurt during the time everyone was picking on her. She has some insightful comments about Trent Reznor and his band. Oh, and there's that part where she said Axl Rose and Kurt Cobain had the best noses in rock (she's all about mating for a nose) and since she wasn't going to get Axl... well, we all know what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment