Tuesday, June 15, 2010

For Future Reference




The other week, an old friend from back in high school was able to come see me in Seattle. For future reference, if a friend who works in a cruise ship visits you, please don't take her to the waterfront. Doesn't matter if it's a nice restaurant or a must-see spot, or if she's too polite to say, "oy, can we go inland?" The girl is in a ship floating in the ocean for months and she's probably in the mood for some stable, solid ground to rest her feet.

Also, by future reference, I mean future reference for me. Of course we had a lovely time catching up, even if it was compressed in about a two hour lunch at Pier 54 but, you know, just a thought, maybe I should have taken her farther away from the water.

Last Saturday, my sister and I watched Splice. It was weird and intriguing and really engages you. And there are very relevant, ethical questions that the movie asks. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

On the way to the movie theatre, we had the usual Seattle bus-riding characters. On the one hand, Ms. Elocution, a recent graduate of the School of Speaking with an Audience. Her props? A cell phone. Her Script? A dialogue with a friend, filled with her deep observations about the guy she had a date with who is French but with a German surname and a host of other subjects no one else in the bus wants to hear.

On the other hand, Ms. or Mr. Silence Will Kill Me. No props, just the character. Just a desire to fill the bus with her random chitchat with strangers who are looking away because everyone knows eye contact only provokes this character to talk more. About what? You might ask. Here is a real-life example, "you know when you get on the bus and a fat guy is sitting there with their backpack beside them and you're like thanks a lot and anyway no one will fit next to you (pause). What's so funny? I want to know what you and you are laughing at. I know I'm fat too (pause). People are entertaining. Behaviors are entertaining. This is my stop."

No comments:

Post a Comment