Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Two Thousand Elevenses

Happy New Year to one and all! I assure you I do know that it isn't actually elevenses, not unless we are referring to that term used in the UK for a snack in the morning. Everyone knows the actual number is eleven-teen. As in nine, ten, eleven-teen, twelve-ty, thirteens, fourteefjfjf.

Everyone also knows that the best way to spend the few days off you have before/ during/ after Christmas and New Year is to watch QVC. No, really, someone help me. I can't seem to turn away. There is something mesmerizing about the parade of flats, opera jackets, beaded necklaces, mocassins and scarves. You have these women with their pearlized nail polish and lacquered hair overflowing with enthusiasm for the cap-toe flats in regular sizes and wait for it... WIDE WIDTHS!

And how about when the models come out in their new clothes and there's always one who can't seem to stand still? Or what do I know, maybe the producer said, quarter turn every 3 seconds, you hear? Obviously they've figured out a formula that can hypnotize viewers because the whole home shopping industry, or maybe just QVC, is worth tons of money.

My favorites are Accessorizing with Rachel Zoe and Isaac Mizrahi Live! Through the haze of my runny nose and stubborn cough, I can hear a voice seducing me into handing over my credit card number for a pair of Isaac's snake embossed leather mocs. Except, the chestnut is sold out in my size! Oh no, the voice is saying, the black will work just fine, hiss hissssss.






Going back to the new year. Our new year's eve with the family and extended family was a somewhat quiet one. The little ones were absent so it was a 21 and over kind of affair.

Hmmm... Now that I think back on it, maybe it wasn't quiet at all. Everyone took turns playing Rock Band, some played better than others (and the others just kept failing or walking out in mid-song). My aunt kept sneaking up behind people with that horrid air horn. My uncle decided to burst into his version of Katy Perry's Firework and Lady Gaga's Bad Romance using that lyrics-i-touch-app-thing... oh wait, that might have been me. My sister kept fiddling with them kiddie-megaphone toys and screaming into them. And just when we were about to end the festivities, another uncle decided to make us coffee with about half a coffee cup's worth of liquor. Yup. That was how our New Year's Eve went.



photo source: CNBC

No comments:

Post a Comment