Friday, March 25, 2011

Shopping (Mis)guide: Spring 2011 Edition

Hello, my footsies! I mean tootsies. Spring has started and that means our closets need an overhaul. And by overhaul I mean I need a carpenter to reattach a few rickety pieces. Just kidding. What I meant to say was, now is the time to start putting some winter clothes away and bringing out, or buying, warm-weather stuff.

Have you heard? Flared pants are back. In a way this is good. Our eyes need a rest from those damned skinny jeans and the people who insist on wearing them even if... hey! You! Yes, you! Everyone can see you're wearing a pair two sizes too small. There's no shame in going up a size!

So, where were we? Ah, yes. Flared pants. I suppose the secret here is finding a pair that is flared enough on top so that the narrow hem is more obvious.

Oh, what?

Sorry, my mistake. The hem is the one that's flared, not the crotch and thighs.

Shit. What am I going to do with this pair I just bought at oppositesonly.com?




Next on the list are color-block pieces. This, I like.

Who am I kidding? I don't like color at all. Up until I started working at a place where white and black clothing are strongly suggested, I never realized how many black pieces I had. And I'm sure I'm not alone when I say bright colors scare me. And anything resembling the color of a Stabilo Boss Highlighter? SCARY.

Trench coats? Must-have. Spy to wear trench coat? Even more of a must-have.



This is not a joke. I do actually want a trench coat. Just the classic khaki trench with maybe, muted/matte gold or bronze buttons, nothing too fancy or hardware-heavy, and definitely no flashy or oversized buttons. I don't need any leather-detailed ones or ruffled hems or quilted sleeves. Just a trench.

Here's an obvious one. Sandals. I swear, I am going to push sandal-season all the way into October. I don't care. I'm so ready for higher temperatures. The key to making your sandals look current is to find the most creative pair you can. For instance, you might choose one with a mix of clear and leather straps. Or, multi-colored ones. You know the one where there's a strap for your big toe?


Photo: Shoebunny


Forget that, get one where the strap is on an unexpected toe. Something like this:




And there you have it my darlings! Have fun shopping! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment