Friday, March 19, 2010

Brief, Crazy Encounters



I like old movies. I especially like it when a seemingly proper lady or gentleman character suddenly blurts out something wicked. Which is why I couldn't help laughing to myself at some scenes from Brief Encounter. When Celia Johnson, as Laura, is forced to share a train car with her neighbor who won't stop yammering, she thinks to herself, "I wish you were dead." And then she feels guilty and takes it back with a, "that was silly and unkind." Funny, a similar line of thought used to pop in my head when our former neighbor, at five in the morning, would rap along to Chamillionaire with his apartment windows wide open. Whaaat? I was just kidding. Really, I don't mean that.

There's also that scene when Laura and Alec share a table together for lunch and a trio of musicians start hammering their music out. They look at each other and laugh. And he goes, "there should be a society for the prevention of cruelty to musical instruments."

I also really like how Laura rocked that head scarf in one scene. I too, have imagined a scenario where I would wear a head scarf in public. This scenario is often followed by the realization that instead of looking like a super stylish woman of the world, I will end up looking like this:





Another thing that's extra shocking? Novels written years and years ago that have a bunch of crazy things going on. I mean, there you are working your way through Tender is the Night and then - spoiler alert - the incest bomb is dropped. Crazy times.

Or, how about Anna Karenina? Drugs. Lots of drugs. And adultery. And suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment